Cochrane is committed to the active involvement of consumers and consumer advocates in doing, disseminating, and implementing systematic reviews as well as furthering the aims of Cochrane.
Stipends to help cover travel costs and other expenses associated with attending the Colloquium are available for consumers who are active Cochrane contributors or in a position to become an active contributor.
Funds are limited, so applicants should explore partial or full funding options from other source(s), such as your local consumer or patient-led group, or the Cochrane Group with which you are involved. Before submitting your stipend application, please read the following criteria and application instructions carefully.
Individuals who wish to apply for a stipend must be either:
- active Cochrane contributors (people currently involved and working with Cochrane) as a consumer or consumer advocate, and be able to attend the conference.
- recommended by a Cochrane Group (Review Group, Field, Network, Centre) or an individual highly involved with Cochrane. You will be asked to request a letter of support from the Cochrane Group that you are most closely associated with (see below for details).
- OR active consumers in Canada.
Newcomers, consumers resident in low- and middle-income countries, and consumers living in Canada
Stipends will be set aside:
(i) to encourage the attendance of consumers from Canada.
(ii) to ensure the participation of newcomers to Cochrane.
(iii) to encourage consumers from low-and middle-income countries to attend.
Newcomers will need to demonstrate why they would like to attend, and how they plan to contribute to Cochrane.
Who is considered a consumer or consumer advocate?
Cochrane defines a health consumer as someone who is affected by a health condition, a caregiver, or who uses or is entitled to use a health-related service, and who is not a practicing health professional or practitioner. A consumer advocate or representative is a consumer who is actively involved with other consumers and is able to represent the perspectives and concerns of that broader group of people.
Cochrane's Consumer Network considers its members to be people who contribute as consumers to Cochrane, particularly in providing their views on the relevance and readability of Cochrane Reviews. They also support the aims of the Consumer Network.
Application recommendations and limitations
- Partial funding: to be able to fund attendance of many and varied consumers to the Colloquium, our preference is to provide partial support only. Your chances of receiving a stipend are increased if you are able to cover part of the costs yourself and/or from other sources. The application form will ask for information on other sources you have contacted to request funding.
- Geographical proximity: people from Canada are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Cochrane employees: applicants who are paid Cochrane employees are eligible for partial funding only. For application purposes, a Cochrane employee is anyone hired by an institution, who has protected time on a weekly basis to work for a Cochrane Group (Review Group, Methods Group, Field, Centre).
As a guideline, applicants who have protected Cochrane work time for less than half time (less than 2.5 days per week) can apply for a maximum of 75% of funding support. Applicants who have protected Cochrane work time for more than 2.5 days per week are eligible to apply for up to 50% funding support. If a person’s paid Cochrane work finishes before the start of the Colloquium, these eligibility criteria do not apply.
Assessment of applications
Applicants will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Consumers living in Canada
- Contribution(s) to Cochrane's work
- Contribution(s) to consumer activities or organizations in the community
- Contribution to the Colloquium programme
- Benefits of attendance to your organization/group
- Ability to raise funds to support attendance
- Recommendation from a Cochrane Group
- Active, contributing member of a consumer organization
What costs are covered?
Funds may be available for one or more of the following expenses:
- Travel to and from Toronto (most economical return fare)
- Accommodation at the Westin Harbour Hotel (Colloquium venue) for a maximum of four nights.
- Registration fee, which entitles you to attend all sessions, conference materials, lunches and coffee breaks from 4-7 October 2020, including attendance at the Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner
- Allowance for ground travel and meals not included in the registration fee, up to $50 CAD per day, max 4 days
Stipends recipients will need to
Produce a report on their experiences at the Colloquium. This may be used as a blog or news item for the Cochrane websites.
How to apply
- Submit your application
People who wish to be included in the selection process are required to complete the online application form once they have created a Colloquium account. Once you have created an account, log in and complete the application form under the menu ‘Make a submission’.
- Letter of support
We require a letter of support from the Cochrane Group who can best explain the extent of your contributions to Cochrane, or, for those applicants who are from Canada, newcomers or are not linked to a Cochrane Group, a letter is required from your consumer organization describing your role in the organization and how your attendance at the Colloquium will be of benefit.
Please upload a letter of support from and signed by a Cochrane Group when making your submisssion.
Deadline for applications: 18 May 2020
Notification of accepted applications: 19 June 2020
Please note: DO NOT register for the Colloquium before you receive notification of the result of your stipend application.
Selection and notification of stipend recipients
All submitted applications will be screened and those meeting the eligibility criteria will be considered by the Consumer Stipends Committee. The Consumer Stipends Committee is composed of active Cochrane consumer members and Cochrane staff.
Should you require assistance with your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org